Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Letter from a builder that knew Mr. Nay (Becky's dad)

6 October 2008

Thank you for inviting me to share in the scrap booking of the Naricks, by sharing what I might know about Rebecca's father , Harry Ray Nay, an architect from Wheeling, West Virginia. I fear I don't have much, but what do know, I am sending along.

Mr. Nay was instrumental, along with Mr. Ray Fisher of Carnegie Tech (now Mellon), also an architect, in securing a CSI charter for Pittsburgh. This was prompted by a chance meeting of myself and Mr. Fisher at the Pittsburgh Builders' Exchange. Other that I don't recall Mr. Nay being very active in the Pittsburgh chapter. My better recollections of him are from my visits to his office in Wheeling.

As you probably know he was quite, large man, perhaps approaching more than 250 pounds. He always wore both a belts and suspenders, but most of all I recall him being a pleasant man, almost jovial. As a representative of ceramic tile companies I visited his office on several occasions. He had a separate room set aside to visit with sales people. He called it "Peddlers' Roost". I am not certain of roost, but peddlers' is for certain. Mr. Nay would offer a drink, coffee or water, usually. Occasionally there would be a dish of cookies. This, I assure you is not the way we were usually greeted. He seem to respect us and was interested in what we had to say.

I also knew of Mr. Narick (Emil). He was a well known football official in the Pittsburgh college and high school ranks.

I'm sorry I don't have more, but thanks for wanting to hear from me.

Sincerely,

Ray Brooks

No comments:

Post a Comment