Wednesday, April 20, 2011

June 9, 1942
12:30 A.M.

Dearest Fiance,
You know tonight I think was probably one of the rudest awakenings I have had for some time. I sat there with a room full of girls that I have known for several years, and as I looked them over, I couldn't quite like what I found. Filthy, dirty jokes that I don't think men could surpass and every innocent statement was twisted into a dirty smutty meaning. I just didn't fit in for my mind just doesn't work that way. I'm afraid I seem dull and lifeless, but I don't ever want to be that way. Now, I have that off my mind.

Otherwise, it was a lovely party, and Martha received many lovely gifts. I believe I told you before, but in case I didn't, I gave her cocktail napkins which had embroidered on them, Drink To and the sign of victory.
Drink
To
V
They were very clever and caused a great deal of comment. There's an old superstition at a shower, that the seventh package opened (owner) will be the next one married. Tonight mine was the seventh.

Heavens, I've been sitting here almost half an hour just thinking....a sign of old age creeping up on me.

Four of us there with men in the air corps and quite a good representation.

And now darling, it's one o'clock. I will scramble into bed and say goodnight sweet, until tomorrow.

All my love forever,
Becky

Good morning dear,
You are I imagine, just finishing up your flight line...is that what you call it? I am sitting out front on the steps, waiting for the bus. I am going to lunch with the gals and then all afternoon I work at the office. More fun. Here comes the bus.

Have lettered specifications all afternoon.

Your Sunday letter was so full of interesting news and thoughts. Enjoyed every page of it. Will read it again this evening.

Family sends its regards. Will write again this evening.

Did you know I love you with all my heart. Bushels and bushels. A great big X for the sweetest fiance I've ever known.

Always your,
"Becky".

No comments:

Post a Comment